Custom synthesis for industrial and academic R&D
Complex, multi-step or enantioselective custom synthesis for industrial or research applications is our core competency. We pride ourselves on a 20 year track record of success in supporting the diverse industries with their chemistry and innovation challenges. Our scientists specialize in organic and organometallic synthesis including polymers, from lab to pilot quantities. Taros works employs a customer-centric and provides flexible models to support our clients with customized services.
Examples of our custom synthesis services include:
- Reverse-engineering & custom synthesis of rare products or key raw materials
- Generation of new IP and patent validation services within contract synthesis
- Reference substances and standards, tracers, PET-ligands etc.
- Stable isotopically labelled compounds
- Metabolites and impurities
- Steroid and Vitamin D Synthesis
- Carbohydrate synthesis
- Fine & specialty chemicals (additives like photoinitiators, OLED chemicals, etc.)
- Custom monomers and polymers (polymeric dispersions)
- Complex dyestuff (diazo, textile, indicator, holographic, photo, security, etc.)
Get in touch – place your request!
- We are transforming your ideas into products
- From early discoveries and R&D chemistry in the laboratory to pilot scale for your application testing
- Always considering economic and safety boundaries and conditions laid out for all stages of the project
- We are running our own state-of-the-art pilot plant facility
in Asia with access to a broad supplier network
- Providing samples of your compounds and specialties
in pilot scale for your extended application testing
- Large-scale synthesis and custom manufacturing opportunities
Analytical chemistry and
- Providing analytical services and quality control for your purpose
- Several spectroscopic methods available, including NMR, FT-IR, UV/VIS, etc.
- Calorimetric methods to monitor processes at every stage of the project
Frequently Asked Questions – Get more insights on our services
What are the typical costs for a custom synthesis project? And how does Taros calculate prices?
Since the costs depend on diverse requirements and conditions, there are significant differences for our custom synthesis services within all our projects. Relevant parameters are prices of starting materials, number and complexity of synthesis steps, safety requirements as well as customer requirements on purity, documentation and analytical specification.
Due to Taros‘ holistic service approach and our broad experience in many industrial applications, our customers not only contract us for mere synthetic chemistry, but rather as a solution provider and consultant for integrated projects, sophisticated chemistry challenges and a boost of their innovation process. That is why we consider the overall risk profile and the research intensity in our project calculations as well.
We start with a scientific assessment and an evaluation of feasibility in consultation with a first research of relevant literature and patents. Due to the IP sensibility of almost all projects, first discussions are typically covered by Non-Disclosure-Agreements. After we have discussed your requirements (e.g. priorities, quantities, additional conditions), we will elaborate a synthesis approach and evaluate potential risks and costs for the project. Especially for research intensive projects we advise our customers to provide as much project background as possible in order anticipate challenges and above all, to proactively bring in ideas and our scientific know-how for the benefit of the customer. Finally an individual quote will be prepared considering further specific demands (e.g. depth of documentation, frequency of communication, analytical methods, etc.).
Anyway, we recommend to contact our chemists to get a solution for your chemistry challenges as soon as possible – Get in touch!
How does the requested purity of compounds influence the pricing?
Most of the project or outsourcing managers from our customers are chemists by training, so they already know the almost exponential relationship between purity and costs. Some areas of applications demand exceptional levels of purity. For example, materials for the development of OLEDs typically require compounds of purity way beyond the 99%. Our scientist are experienced in a lot of industrial applications, so we are able to anticipate, and more importantly to meet these challenges.
To those who are not familiar with the underlying cause. There is a multitude of determinants. Most notably, increased purification efforts as well as the need to expend larger amounts of starting materials, intermediates and products (as a high share will be lost during purification) to finally reach a higher purity of compounds.
Which contractual options does Taros offer for custom synthesis services?
Due to the high share of research intensity, risk profile and uncertainty of the project progression of our customer inquiries, we primarily work on a Full Time Equivalent (FTE) basis. So the price is calculated based on the resources employed in the project. Within a R&D based environment, the FTE approach is typically employed in order to be able to compare quotes and to reduce project management costs as much as possible. Depending on the nature of the project as well as the scope of the collaboration there is a lot of space for individual arrangements. Our FTE services include a full service package: a dedicated project manager for scientific exchange and communication, biweekly Reports according to your specific needs, conference calls, joint steering committees if required, etc. Most important to our clients, they receive full access to synthetic recipes and all Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) in order to fully exploit our services for their product development and innovation agenda.
Since Taros is not commissioned for very simple and plain synthesis projects, only a minor share of our projects are performed on a Fee for Service (FFS) model which covers the whole R&D risks. However, rest assured, Taros carefully examines all customer inquiries. If a customer request still appears to be realizable from a commercial perspective, we are happy to conduct straight forward chemistry as well.
Only in very special cases and long-term collaborations we settle on a royalty model with our partners. In this rather long-term and strategic collaborations we contribute ideas and know-how and invest ourselves a significant amount of resources. This model remunerates Taros‘ investments we bring in as a privately owned company and reflects our approach to build a portfolio of research projects with co-ownership.
Our scientific business development will be happy to advice you in order to prepare a customized quote – Get in touch!
Which information should a customer prepare in order to receive a quote?
We strongly recommend to provide as much information as possible, because the more information we get on your project the more we will be able to customize a quote. In case Taros is contracted as a solution provider (e.g. understanding of your industrial application is required) a broad background on your project and product development objectives help us to be creative and exploit our chemistry expertise across several disciplines (organic chemistry, photochemistry parallel chemistry, polymer chemistry, computational chemistry, medicinal chemistry, etc.) and across diverse industrial applications (OLED materials, coatings, dyes, medtech and healthcare, consumer goods, flavors and cosmetics, consumer goods, petrochemical, etc.). Due to the high share of research intensity in most of the customer inquiries we typically exchange all information with (potential) customers under Non-Disclosure-Agreements (NDA) right from the beginning. As a leading chemistry CRO in Europe we are experienced in dealing with highly sensitive information and we have established internal processes and guidelines to ensure highest level of confidentiality.
Besides the background and objective of your project, we always enquire standard general information on the chemistry as well as on the scope of the basic services:
- Target structure, CAS nr., etc.
- Chemical purity and optical purity (if applicable)
- Preferred analytical methods
- Requirements regarding reporting and communication
Contact our scientific business development, they will be happy to prepare a customized quote – Get in touch!
Does Taros provide all information and Intellectual Property Rights generated during the course of a project?
Besides the mere compound, our customers are rather interested in the synthetic recipes, scientific approaches, etc. in particular IPR. Indeed, within our Full Time Equivalent (FTE) service model we offer our customers a full service package in order to enable them to independently pursue their product development or innovation agenda. For example, a typical objective of our customers is to increase their flexibility and supply independency for key raw materials. We provide the full documentation on synthetic recipes, scientific approaches, chemical process development etc. so that our customer gains a technical information package to set up own processes or to instruct contract manufacturing organizations (CMOs). However, most important, Taros’ customers receive all Intellectual Property Rights in order to fully exploit results which our scientists have elaborated within the course of a project. Since our scientists have a broad chemical background and experience across diverse industrial applications they are able to explore new chemical matter and generate patentable results. Due to their high share of scientific contribution on customer projects, our scientists are regularly mentioned in patents as co-inventors.
Contact our scientific business development, they will be happy to advice you on your specific requirements – Get in touch!
At which scale and quantity ranges does Taros operate? Which capabilities does Taros provide its customers?
Taros operates state-of-the-art laboratories including 60 fume hoods and kilo lab equipment at its headquarter in Germany. Consequently we perform any discovery chemistry and custom synthesis projects from low lab scale to batch productions of fine and specialty chemicals on a multi-kg scale. Starting from literature or patent research as well as screening of relevant parameters, we perform adesign of experiment (DOE) approach and reaction calorimetry to scale up custom synthesis projects.
Within our pilot-plant facilities in Asia we are able to scale a chemical process from multi-kg up to a ton per year. Altogether we provide a significant added value by bridging the gap from discovery chemistry to applied research at pilot scale. Taros is one of the very few chemistry CROs in Europe to support customers along the whole value chain from lab to multi KG scale and small scale custom manufacturing.
Of course our individual working scale heavily depends on the nature of chemistry and further requirements and conditions.
That is why we recommend to contact our scientific business development, they are happy to explain our capabilities in detail – Get in touch!
Why is it reasonable or cheaper to outsource synthetic chemistry or chemistry challenges than employing the own R&D?
Needless to say, this cannot be emphasized within a straight-forward one-liner. Taros’ added value depends on different requirements, specific circumstances and challenges which our customers face. In general, Taros has a track record of more than 20 years in synthetic Chemistry R&D, and has evolved as a leading chemistry CRO and custom synthesis for different branches and industries.
Customer benefits due to Taros’ individual capabilities:
- We engage in generation of new IP, patent validation services and provide full access to IP rights in order to support our customers’ strategic goals and R&D portfolio. A lot of our customer patents’ mention our scientists as co-inventors.
- Excellence in several chemical disciplines (organic chemistry, photochemistry parallel chemistry, polymer chemistry, computational chemistry, medicinal chemistry, etc.) to provide hands-on consultancy and to solve sophisticated chemistry challenges.
- Extensive know-how over different classes of fine- and specialty chemicals (photoinitiators, functionalized monomers, polymeric dispersions, dyes and fluorescents, labelled compounds, etc.) and a plethora of industrial applications (OLED materials, coatings, dyes, medtech and healthcare, consumer goods, flavors and cosmetics, consumer goods, petrochemicals, etc.) to translate customer demands into the necessary physico-chemical properties.
- We are bridging the gap from discovery chemistry to applied research at pilot scale. So we are able to support our customers along the whole value chain from lab to multi KG scale for validation purposes, small scale custom manufacturing, etc.
- We increase the cost effectiveness of our customers’ projects on multiple ways. Having performed more than 13,000 successful project we are experienced with sophisticated chemistry challenges and very narrow timelines set by our customers. Taros offers outsourcing opportunities for projects with a high share of research intensity and risk profile at competitive FTE rates. As a subject matter expert, we are usually involved to reduce the costs of long-term R&D activities. For example, we increase the supply independency for key raw materials. Our pilot-plant facilities in Asia enable custom synthesis for very price sensitive projects as well as an access to a large supplier network for starting materials, intermediates and key raw materials which are usually hard to find.
- We increase the time effectiveness of our customers’ projects on multiple ways. Many of our large customers face rather internal hurdles like inflexible provisions and authorization procedures. Taros is a small-and-medium sized and privately owned chemistry CRO allowing flexible and agile processes to pursue a fully customer centric approach. We run 2-shift operations at our headquarter in Germany as well as at our pilot-plant facilities in Asia, thereby providing our customers with a broad time frame every day.
- We serve as your extended workbench and lab facilities in case you are running out of capacity. Despite having a large R&D department many of our customers face bottlenecks in capacity, equipment or knowhow which they cannot address in due time. Other customers even do not have a R&D department themselves, and rather pursue a semi-virtual or fully virtual R&D approach by outsourcing all chemistry activities or just some challenges like custom syntheses.
Contact our scientific business development. It is easiest way to learn all the benefits which Taros is able to offer you – Get in touch!
As a leading contract research organization in discovery chemistry and custom synthesis, Taros provides comprehensive solutions to meet our clients’ needs from diverse branches and applications
Our experienced chemists practice a pragmatic culture and customer-centric approach in order to exceed project expectations and, despite challenges, bridge very narrow timelines. They are trained to consider economic, safety and ecological boundaries and conditions laid out for all stages of the project.